Any organization that sells business-to-consumer or business-to-business products can make use of a PIM system. It is most useful for those companies who operate across several sales channels or marketplaces and their products have a large amount of data associated with them. The industry really doesn't matter as long as there are products. It is applicable to retail, manufacturing, food and beverages, health and fitness, lighting, etc. The PIM acts as a central source of product information for the business where multiple teams/departments can work seamlessly in collaboration with each other to keep the data accurate, consistent, and up-to-date.
In terms of what each department may use the PIM for:
- The e-commerce team benefits from being able to easily update the online store with up-to-date data straight from the PIM. This also speeds up new product launches as they can be prepared and ready to go before launch within the PIM and published onto the website on launch day.
- The marketing department benefits from a PIM by having a way to distribute consistent product information which maintains brand image. They can also easily produce datasheets and catalogs by having access to a single location for the product data. Furthermore, having good product information available to customers provides another unique selling point and provides a better overall customer experience.
- Design teams can benefit from a single source for all product information and media related to these products. This means if they are in charge of datasheets and catalogs, or even videos about the product, they will have access to the necessary information.
- Product management or technical teams have an easy way to verify that data is correct and up-to-date. It is also easier to prepare new products for launch, especially with powerful import tools and validation rules that ensure the data is accurate.
- At a more senior/management level the PIM benefits the organisation by simplifying the decision making process regarding products, making expanding to new markets or launching new products faster, increasing ROI, saving time and resources, and ensuring employees are happier and more collaborative.
- The legal team will know that all channels can display accurate and transparent product data concerning health and safety. Any other legal attributes like certifications can also be stored within the PIM.
- Customer service teams will benefit from a reliable source for information about products if a consumer has a query or issue. There are also less likely to be complaints as the product information will be accurate and displayed consistently across channels.
- External retailers and wholesalers can be automatically sent the latest products with all of the relevant information in the format they require on a schedule.