A PIM system for Shopify
Shopify is a set of tools used to create a web store. It is not a PIM, as it does not act as a centralised source for storing your product data. However, Shopify can connect with PIM systems in order to populate a store with the data stored in the PIM.
Using a PIM with Shopify is helpful when inputting large quantities of products and frequently changing product data. A PIM is also essential if you are working with large numbers of images, videos and other metadata for products.
Shopify is a CMS: a Content Management System. Let’s take a closer look at the relationship between CMS and PIM.
What is the difference between CMS and PIM?
- Used to publish content to channels as well as store other content to be pushed to a website
- Primarily dedicated to the management of a website’s content
- Designed to be easy to use without programming knowledge to be able to easily push content.
Shopify is a CMS as the data stored within it is used to update a web store page.
- Used to store and manipulate product data for publication on various channels.
- A single source of truth for data and product information within an organisation. Saves having data and media scattered across various departments with various versions of data stored throughout.
A PIM is extremely useful when handling product data that needs to be distributed over multiple channels; it can help with updating data and pushing it to the correct channels e.g. updating sales prices for products to be sold in Europe.
OneTimePIM works well with CMS such as Shopify. See how through the videos below!